Monday, January 4, 2021

My version of a push stick or block


Dennis wanted to see my version of a push stick. More of a push block but let's not mince words.




It has a pistol grip that is roughly contoured to fit my hand.  The material as used pallet stickers like theses.  I stacked a few sections, rough cut the shape on the bandsaw and smoothed it on the belt sander.

The sole get chewed up by the saw blade on some cuts.  These are the cuts where you want to push both the work and the offcut past the blade.   Or when the blade is too close to the fence for the stick to pass between the blade and fence.

When it becomes unusable I cut off the bulk of what's left on the bandsaw and run the stick over the jointer to get a nice glueing surface.   Now I can imagine people saying I don't have all that fancy equipment.  One could easily use velcro or 2 sided carpet tape to attach the sacrificial sole.  

Rather than notch the sole to catch the work just glue on a small block  

Many time I will use a more traditional push stick to hold the work against the fence while pushing it through with this one.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment