Tuesday, May 7, 2019

VBLOG 17 Test Furnace Demonstration.

Maybe i should have made a video on the why an wherefor's of the test furnace first.  Its been a while and there are new subscribers.






OBSERVATIONS
  1. I should have arranged the mold to make more room for a decent pour basin.   The aluminum escaped and ran into the top of the cylinder I was pouring.
  2. Need to judge pour temperature better.  I am new to casting aluminum with gas.
  3. Surface could be better. But it was just a billet for machining and I did not properly blow out the mold.
  4. Would like to improve how the spru connects to the runner.
  5. Would like a model for the pour basin.
  6. I could have poured at about 30 minutes but added more aluminum I did not need then waited too long.
  7. Additional melts would be shorter.  Need to batch work.  I don't like this part.

The new flask and shank worked well if a bit difficult to lock closed.  The cobbled together cheek worked well.

The refractory in the cylinder seems to be holding up.   Will need to see how it is after extended use.

No comments:

Post a Comment