Friday, May 8, 2020

Update

The Atlas 10" is working well.    I am not happy with the chuck and my kind wife ordered me a new one.   Maybe a post on cleaning it up when it comes.

I have been working on a new driven shaft for an old craftsman 6x9" belt sander I picked up a while back.   Figured it would be a good learning project.
It is.  Cutting the snap ring grooves was harder than expected.  Used the Sharpen-all to thin a parting tool to 40 thou.   Played around for a while and got it to cut with the blade below the center line.
MrPete says hot rolled can be tough to part.

Need the Master Mill to cut the half moon keyways.   Spend too much time freeing up the holder for the 1/2" tools.   But it is done.  Reamed out the hole where the tool goes by hand and it was sure full of crud.  Still need to drill a new set screw hole.

Cranked the Master Mill over by hand and got 9 or 10 to 1.     I was thinking it was 6.    Anyway I plan on turning equal sized drive and driven pulleys.    Have the left hand tap so I can thread the pulley onto the motor.   Still need a set screw because the cutting direction will try to unscrew the pulley.   I cast several blanks last month so I should be good to start on them when the new chuck arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment