Thursday, May 14, 2020

New CME Six Inch Six Jaw Chuck

My wife bought me a new chuck for the Atlas.   Its a CME 6" 6 Jaw.    Spent the better part of a day tearing it down and cleaning it.
This is my first experience with a new and first with a six jaw chuck.  It grips very well.  Ran a DTI over the outside of the chuck.  Looks like about 1 or 1.5 thou of runout.      Maybe this can be reduced by bumping the chuck on the backplate.

Overall it looks to be very well machined.  I was concerned because similar chucks are much more expensive.
https://cme-tools.myshopify.com/products/6-6-jaw-self-centering-lathe-chuck-with-1-1-2-8-back-mounting-adapter-plate?variant=30994824396

Shot a lot of vid but don't know that I will be using it.   Especially the parts where I was scrubbing parts with my boxers showing above my pants!  That and neglecting to start recording now and then more or less made it useless.


Have a few hours in using the chuck.   Mostly I like it.  Takes a while to swap the jaws around but they are a very good fit.   Once in a while it take a soft hammer bump to get one loose.  When this happens I add a bit of oil.





No comments:

Post a Comment