Saturday, December 8, 2018

thinking about 'add mixtures'

They make products called 'add mixtures' to modify concrete.   One sort makes the concrete more fluid with less water, maybe a lubricant of sorts.  I wonder how that would work with a refractory mix.    They make 'add mixtures' specifically for refractories but its not something one can buy a tiny bit of.

The concrete version can be had on amazon and fairly reasonable.  Its called a superplasticizer and is about $12.

Fritz Pac Superplasticizer 5


I don't want to mess with this just now as I already have too many variables.  But then I don't want to forget about it either.

Asked about it on amazon

Answer:
It will sort of burn/melt. But if you do a thin 1/2 layer of refsctory cement over it like i did on mine it works great. The interior 1/2 layer will break up over time but it super easy clean clean out and rework because the base layer stays strong.
By Eldon L Eslick on December 4, 2018
What I take away from that is that it will breakdown and ruin the refractory.  Still a good idea for counter tops and such.  But the lime I am adding is a flocculant which should help reduce water use some.

No comments:

Post a Comment