Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Kerr 666

As mentioned earlier I fired the oven earlier and the crimped connection on the coil failed.  I pulled the heating element and refractory bricks.

Yesterday I refitted the refractory brick and used a bit mortar to lock them in place.  The down side is I need to wait for the mortar to set.  The idea is that the lime is supposed to calcify as the Portland cement burns out.   The cement has to be strong enough to get to that point.

The mortar is 10 : 6 : 2 : 3 – Silica Flour, Native Clay, Portland cement, and Lime.

The original formula called for sand and fire clay.   Silica flour makes the mix smoother easier to apply.  I don't have fire clay.  My native clay shrinks less than bentonite clay.

I want to try this formula with sand and perlite to see how it does as a castable refractory.

The satanite does not want to stick to some of the surfaces I applied it to in the oven.  


No comments:

Post a Comment