Thursday, October 4, 2018

EXPERIMENT #2 LIME A::

This experiment not happen quickly.  If the repair of the 666 fails I may take my best guess at a refractory formula and build another oven.  The 666 is too small and on the slow side.  More on that in another post.

In this experiment I want to look at variations on Traditional Oven's refractory mortar formula.  10 : 6 : 2 : 3 – Sand, Fire Clay, Portland cement, and Lime.  I assume this is based on volume as will all measures.   

For non refractory use the ratio of cement to lime is given as 1:1.  Given that the cement will burn out it makes sense to favor the lime in refractories.

Ratios are Sand:SilicaFlour:Clay:Cement:Lime:Perlite

A: 10:0:6:2:3:0 control sample

Test the addition of Perlite
B: 10:0:6:2:3:3 
C: 10:0:6:2:3:5 
D: 10:0:6:2:3:7 
E: 
10:0:6:2:3:9
F:  10:0:6:2:3:11

Test substitution of Silica Flour for Sand

G: 9:1:6:2:3:0 
H: 8
:2:6:2:3:0 
I: 7
:3:6:2:3:0 
J: 6
:4:6:2:3:0 
K: 5
:5:6:2:3:0 

Each sample will be prepared twice.  Once with my local clay and once with bentonite.   So we will have samples AL AB BL BB CL CB ....

All sample use x:y:6:2:3:z.  That allows me to make a base mix and add x, y, and z.  But its best if we hold back the clay and add it 10 minutes after mixing the rest.  So the base mix will be 0:0:2:3:0 which means we just mix the cement an lime.  I can do that in the cement mixer come ball mill.  Lime is nasty stuff but this will be OK because the lime will be in a canister inside a 5 gallon bucket with a screw top inside the mixer held in place by foam rubber.

This will total 22 samples.

I am concerned that replaced equal volumes of sand with silica flour may result in less overall refractory.  Need to see what the weight ratio is.











No comments:

Post a Comment