Friday, May 28, 2021

Rusted in Tap Wrench: SUCCESS

The tap wrench has been in the vinegar bath for almost 2 weeks, 13 days to be exact.  

About 1/2 through I tried a bit of heat from the propane torch with no results.

Today I tried to turn it for the first time in about a week using a vice grip on the handle..   I noticed the handle turned just slightly and the jaw was rocking with it.  Applied PB Blaster. It took a fair bit of pressure to turn but slowly it started to turn a bit further and eventually it moved over the entire range.

It still turns bloody hard so removed the penetrating oil with brake cleaner, cleaned the soak tube and filled with fresh vinegar.   I left it with the jaw closed which exposes parts previously hidden.  With luck it will remove rust from these areas and it will move freely.

Three days later I made this video.  The wrench is ready for use.


Nov 26th UPDATE:
The wrench had seized up while sitting in the drawer with the others.  Put it in the vice and worked it loose.  Lubricated with 20W ND oil.  In terms of fit this wrench is quite possibly the best in my collection.  But yeah it looks crappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment