Friday, April 3, 2020

Located a milling machine

Given that I still have the deal for the 10" Atlas lathe in the works I was not looking for another machine just now.   But a friend on discord mentioned a horizontal milling machine with a vertical head.  But is a 10 hour drive away and burred in a garage so I don't know the make or model.   It is said to have a 32 inch table.  A nice size.  Weight is guessed at 2500 lbs.

That's too much for my 1/2 ton pickup.   Can not use the car trailer as it is because the tires are 10 years old.  Tried borrowing a trailer, toyed with splitting the load between the pickup and and a small trailer again the old tire problem.  So after much fussing around I have opted to pull the tires off the parts town car.  They are about 5 years old and like the trailer tires very little miles.  But they are a little smaller but this should not be a problem.   May even make the mill a bit easier to load.

Trailer still had the remains of the greenhouse loaded on it.  Meet a neighbor at roll off while unloading it and he loaned my a few 4x4's to support the mill on the trailer.  Also 2 straps and has offered some chain binders which he called boomers.

So today I get to swap the 4 tires.  I don't see where anything can go wrong but lets cross fingers LOL.




I am thinking if I can get enough straps and chains I would like to transport the mill standing up.  Laying anything like this down runs a fair risk of breaking something.   My shop crane may lift high enough to load it on the trailer.  So build some sort of beefy pellet and chain it down on the trailer.  Now the trailer has two strong runners where car tires go.  Not sure how strong the center between them is. Need to inspect that today when I do the tires.  Also look at the broken leaf in the spring stacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment