Saturday, July 4, 2020

Muller Build July 4 - 7 2020







Cut pipe and plate for a larger crucible.  4 in ID and 9.5 tall.  Works out to 106 ci if filled to one inch from the top.  About 10 lbs of aluminum.  My large cruciable for the Kerr 666 held about 125 ci so I am a bit disappointing but it is what it is. 





Of course this set me thinking about the muller.    Fairly recently I had been thinking of using the old monarch concrete mixer but its really noisy.   So much so I don't want it inside.  So maybe the original plan to use the Twin Cities Hub gearbox is a better choice.  But then I have a better use for that 150:1 double worm drive.  So I think it may come down to belts and pulleys.  Maybe.   But there is plenty else to build in the mean time.

July 5

  
  


The first image is the 1.5"  main shaft, bearings and pulley.  These were part of a scary DIY buzz saw setup a fellow made to cut fire wood.   Also shown is some of the engineering that went into it.   I can make use of the keyway and top thread but the washer has to go.  Need a sturdier disk down a few inches from there maybe even a bar with mounting holes.

I can't complain.  Its the bits I need.  The frame this saw was mounted on is now my molding bench. :)



  
 



The tub is an old thick wall tank I cut down.  About 30" diameter and 15" tall.  In the first image I was finding the center.  The tank has one flat spot along the wall but its minor.

The tub will stand still with the wheels and paddles rotating.   So I cut a 3" hole in the center to take the 1.5" main shaft.  A smaller hole would have worked but it would have required buying another saw.  The bearings are large enough that the somewhat larger hole will not be a problem.

Need to center the shaft to fit the bearings.   Yeah I could have laid this out prior to cutting the hole but I did not.   So I grabbed an extra cast pulley blank and turned a bushing to center the shaft in the hole.   Turned the outside then drilled a 1" hole in one go and enlarged it with a boring bar. Nice slip fit.  So now I can drop the bearing over the centered shaft and drill the bearing mounting holes.  This bushing may be used on the inside of the tub to help cover the hole and keep sand out of the bearing.  Still thinking about that.

I have to say I am enjoying the six jaw chuck.  Thanks Deb.

I have not selected a motor.   A 1725 rpm moor requires a 75 to 1 reduction to get 23 rpm.  Square root of 75 is 8.7.  Hmm looks like I will need 3 belts.   Cube root of 75 is 4.217.   I am still thinking of.a variable speed from a lawn tractor for one section.  ....nope looked at the only one I have and it is missing parts.  I think.

July 6

Drilled 4 holes to mount the bottom bearing.   These are the self aligning type.  They were reluctant to move so I hit them with carb cleaner then non detergent oil.   Used a transfer punch to mark the first hole then bolted the bearing in place and used the full sized drill to mark the other 3.  So far I have only found one bolt, 0.62" so 5/8" inch.  I may have the ones that came off the saw.

The SO picked up 8 5/8" x 2" bolts with nut washer and lock washer.  Something like 25 or 30 dollars.  Sounds nuts to me. LOL

Turned down the washer that was welded to the shaft.  Took way longer than I expected.  Started setting it up on the atlas and realized maybe the heavier  The 1.5" shaft was too large for the spindle so I had to set up the steady rest.  Had a heck of a time getting it running true.  Switched through 3 different cutting tools and sharpen em a few times.

Cleaned up one of the bearings and figured how to take them apart.  Looks like they are sealed bearing and the grease nipple only greases the self alignment feature.  Should remove the one I just installed in the bottom of the drum and clean it up too.  Don't know why I did not do that first.  Maybe because I morphed from design to building while I was not looking. 

Tomorrow I need to measure and figure a few things out so we can go shopping in Amarillo the next day.  When we get back my little vacation is over and I need to finish the garage.  So won't have much time to spend here.  Sigh.  

Now to transfer some images.

  
  
  



July 7

Time to get back to thinking, scrounging and prototyping.  Need a drive section.  I plan to ignore the wheels and scrapers until after I have a shaft rotating in the drum at a correct RPM.  23 maybe.

  
A small pulley on the motor will drive
this 10".
A small pulley on the previous
shaft drives this 9 3/4". Needs groove.
  
This 2 or 2.5" toothed pulley shares the
previous shaft.
This 8.5" toothed pulley will go on the 
1.5" main shaft.  Need to either bore 
out the hub or cast a new one.


I will be casting and machining a couple of small pulleys to get the ratio right.

Obviously the toothed pulley will not slip so have to reduce tension one or both of the other belts to do so.

Used the press on the side of the hydraulic press brake to push the hub out of the large tooth pulley.  It did not slide out it exploded out.  No damage.  Need to learn to put a blanket under what I am pressing.  With the hub out of the pulley the shaft nearly dropped out of the hub.  So when putting it back together reverse that.   1.5" shaft to hub then put the pulley over the hub.   Might have to press it in so best to put the male end of the hub up so it fits in the press.  Maybe I can tap it on.

Fussed a while about boring out this hub.  There will only be .3 inches of wall left.  But its just a spacer so there should be no problem.  Stuck it in the six jaw.  With the large flange tight against the chuck there is 3 thou runout on the face and about 10 on the outside.  But this thing turns once every 2 seconds it should not matter.  Sigh  Not looking forward to cutting the key way.

Managed to get back into the shop one more time.  Started enlarging the hole in the cast hub for the toothed pulley.  Drilled it out in 1" in several steps   Bored it to about 1.3".   Going to move it over to the Sidney and center it on the 4 jaw to finish it.

This is getting long time to start a new entry.   Tomorrow is shopping in Amarillo and if all goes well I should end up with 500 to 1000 lbs of masonry sand which is supposed to be fine.








No comments:

Post a Comment