Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Master Mill Poly-V Pulleys

Rather than make several avoidable mistakes in the shop I am working through it here to see what I can come up with. 

I am concerned about the motor pulley. The motor is a DC treadmill motor. The shaft is 17MM  (0.669") by 1" length with an additional section 1/2-13 LHT on the end.    I don't like the idea of registering a 4" aluminum pulley to this shaft.  Maybe a better bet would be to sleeve the shaft to a larger size and mate the aluminum pulley to the sleeve.  Or insert the steel sleeve into the pulley.

Maybe its best to make the sleeve thread onto the motor shaft.  That will give me several tries at making it work.    When I have a good true sleeve running on the motor I could lock tight it in place so it can be run in either direction.  In the last attempt I used a grub screw on the mill pulley and it caused a few thou runout on the pulley when tightened down

Sourced the 1/2 13TPI LHT tap.




No comments:

Post a Comment